Monday 14 January 2008

How busy do we really get?

Can’t believe I have thought about updating this blog for 2 weeks and I haven’t been able to. Why is that: is that I have been very busy (easiest excuse), others include maybe I don’t know the importance or value of a blog, maybe it’s not just priority for me, well I don’t know. It’s got to be something.
I cringe anytime I am about to say I have been busy, especially when trying to justify why I didn’t remember a particular persons birthday, why I forgot something very important etc
What comes to mind is, how busy is George Bush, Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, Bill Gates, The Pope, P Diddy and others. How dare I say busy in the presence of such eminent and high achieving people?
Where and how does working hard become working smart? Would there be a more effective and productive person if you put them in my shoes and on my job?
I suppose we all get a blank cheque of 24hours. What we spend it on, how we spend it and the value we get out of it is absolutely dependent on us.
Maybe a time management course might help, maybe not. Maybe it’s our bad practices, attitudes and behaviours. Well again maybe not.
I believe there is always a better and more effective way of doing things and getting things done. More value, better results, faster time to delivery and who knows maybe less effort.
Maybe being busy is an albatross we use at will. Whatever that means.
Now I need to get back to work. Until I get a faster and better approach to doing my work, I have to say I am very very busy.
Cha Cha
I have missed writing this blog. Hopefully I will do this tomorow, and Imight write about what drives me, what drives us and....what we drive..

1 comment:

Bibi said...

Well being too busy happens to the best of us.. Its ok to lay claim to 'busyness'. In a bid to make a living or become successful in the society, most of us put things we enjoy doing like blogging, cooking,taking photographs and working out amongst other things on the back burner of our lives. This happens to us once we get into the rut of meeting or beating the deadlines that hang over our lives like the proverbial sword of damocles.
When it comes to how to get out of this rut, some people lay claim to esoteric things like time management courses, smart working etc.
For me what really works is the 'KISS' (Keep It Simple Stupid) philosophy.. Life is much less stressful when u make an effoft to keep things simple. you will find that even the most complex issues are quite simple when viewed properly..
for someone like you that may be prone to forgetting people's birthday and stuff like that, just put a reminder on your phone or in your diary.. It certainly wont harm you.
It might be worthy of note that more often than not, your "eminent and high achieving" people might not be half as busy as you are...