Sunday 3 February 2008

Yanni, Dom and B.K

Its sunday morning and I am carrying out a ritual I usually did with my friend Dominic (Arnold Echekwube). Listening to Yanni.
I like Yanni, there is something about his music that is deep, soothing and reflective.
Nightingale, Tribute, Renegade, Dance with a Stranger, November Sky, A Night to remember, Playing by Heart, Sand Dance etc. I really like this guy's music.
Dom was my friend. he was my bossom friend. we built all our dreams, hopes, castles and aspirations together. I lived with him and he lived with me. I loved this guy.
He introduced me to Yanni, Enya, John Tesh and he made me love tracy chapman.
We climed the hill together for a gruelling 8 hours, we made travel plans together.
He made application development real and tangible to me, then he made it look like childs play.
He consulted me on almost any and everything and took my advice and opinion seriously.
If there ever was a true genius, he was one. was intuitive about everything.
I can't bring myself to delete his messages from my phone or his contact details.
I still have his mails in my box.

Now it's B.K. (Bukky Nee Kolade)
That was our code name for her.
Nice, gentle, caring. Actually pleasant is the most apt word for her.
I went to her room scores of times, spent long nights and hours talking to her.
We enjoyed each others company.
Struck me most times like as angel.
Never dated her for some reason, I don't know my self.
Last time I spoke with her was december 2006. I guess she was just about to get married around then. Sounded very much as pleasant as ever.
Wished her well, wished her very well.
Heard she passed away. As she tried to give birth to her baby.
I neither can imagine nor would like to know the pain of her husband and family.
I couldn't believe it. Still can't.
Definitely gone too soon.

Did I say it's sunday and I am listening to Yanni and thinking of the "Gone".

5 comments:

Tuokpe said...

ok its good to see this guy (i presume you are male) has a soft side. Please let your woman know Yanni is the way to get you all soft and mushy.

I think death is a reality and apart from it eventually happening to us all, we loose loved ones and people who we know only made the world a better place.
For me this kind of losses make me ask myself if I'm doing my best, cuz here you describe Dominic as a genious who infected you with his passions and B.K was just pleasant.What would people say about us when we are gone or would they be only constrained by not speaking ill of the dead.
Live life like everyday is the last was my mum's motto.

Bluey said...

Hello...As you have expressed you like yanni then you should not miss out the new Yanni music that would be out soon. You can visit Yanni.com for all the latest updates! :)

Unknown said...

Today is the 3rd year after Arnold's painful and sorrowful departure. It struck me more than it can strike anyone. He taught me a lot of things in life, if there is anything more than a genius thats what he is. Remembered when he carried me on his shoulder across a bridge. Yanni, enya,era and so many other songs and one of his best movies - THE ROCK.

Any time I watch the movie or play these songs his thought flow within me and I wish I could still see him once again.
He lived his Life like a 'Candle in the Wind' and achieved more than any one could imagine. He was always 'A Good Guy'

Brother
Benedict Echekwube

Unknown said...

Arnold will remain alive in my heart. I could not bring myself to attend his funeral, as that would make me believe he is really gone. June 11, 2006 ...darkest day in our history. I try not to listen to our favorite songs together, because, even though its almost 7 years now, I still shed tears, recalling how he gesticulates the high points of the songs.

I did a random search for his name today and stumbled across this blog. Thank you for contributing to keeping his name alive online, so the rest of humanity who were not privileged enough to share his presence would at least benefit from our reminisces.

I miss u bro


Ben Okoroafor

Unknown said...

I did a random search too for his name too today, that's how I found myself here.
Thanks Orlando for this post.
I Miss u bro.